The Collins Christian Church celebrated 121 years as a Christ centered fellowship and 100 years in its present building. The service was planned around thoughts of the past, old songs, past pastors and a rededication message.
A video of happenings in the year 1919, a skit about our church history and the Gospel, and recognition of our visiting past pastor, David and Jan Vernon and family , and a video sent by Mike and Angie Lopp, also a past pastor, were all part of the service, held on Sept. 22. There was a time for sharing memories which everyone enjoyed. Things were shared from the past that many did not know. Besides the congregational songs, the “Celebration Trio” (a group of ladies that used to sing for even other churches) performed. The choir performed a new special song inviting members from the past to join them. The quilting ladies from the church made a new wall hanging for the Sanctuary. T- shirts could be purchased with the church’s name on them and also a history book with written history and alot of pictures.
After the service everyone enjoyed a catered meal form Hickory Park of Ames. Dessert was homemade ice cream and bars. The tables were decorated with purple runners, ribbon, old hymnals and old bottles with fresh flowers on cream colored table coverings. Along the wall were two old quilts made by church ladies in the 20s or 30s. There were also many displays of mission trips, mission auctions, church ladies groups, building projects, posters of many past pastors with pictures and written information, and a large history binder with all kinds of information.
The church was delighted to have several out of town and past congregation members return for their celebration.