In September, the Collins Christian Church will celebrate the 100th year of the building of the church. There is a lot of history leading up to the present church.
In 1895, four men met in the home of William Angelo to establish a new church. In October of 1897, they hired Rev. Lawrence Wright of Jefferson, to hold tent meetings. From these meetings, 63 people were baptized in a creek outside of town. The last meeting was held in December 1897. The Collins Church of Christ was formed in 1898 with 31 charter members. A church building was erected on the northwest corner of First Street and Second Avenue at a cost of $1,700.
In 1919, a new brick and stucco building was built on the northwest corner of Main and Second Street. Hollow tile for the foundation came from the Maxwell Kiln and the fired clay block for the superstructure came from Brazil, Ind. On Sept. 20, 1919, the cornerstone was lifted into place by James Oswalt, Frank Campbell, and Jensen and McDaniels, the latter two performing the mechanical part. The cornerstone was of the Bedford material and a gift from Charles Lookingbill of Maxwell. The carved words, “Church of Christ, and the date 1919” were contributed by F. H. Hoyt, also from Maxwell. The stone is a cube of about 20 inches and contains: a history of the church, a list of the church members, a list of church officers and auxiliaries of the church, a list of those who subscribed to the building of the new church, copies of the “World Call,” the “Christian News,” the “Christian Standard”, and the “Christian Evangelist”, periodicals of the church, a copy of the “Collins Gazette” and a copy of the “New Testament Scriptures and the Psalms,” which was a gift from the Collins Pharmacy.
Easter Sunday of 1920 was expected to be the last service held in the 1898 church. The present church contains the oak pews that were in the 1898 church!
Over the years, this 1919 church has had some major building done — a lift was added, a new handicap restroom and six new Sunday School rooms. Of course, there is always upkeep and remodeling to be done, but the building retains its original charm with the oak woodwork, oak pews, tin basement ceiling, and stained glass windows.
As a body of believers, the members have gone from being members of the Church of Christ denomination to members of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) denomination to being the independent Collins Christian Church.
From 1898 to 2019, there have been 47 changes in pastors, with the present pastor being Scott Jones from Ames.
The church will celebrate with a rededication service on Sept. 22.
The Historial Society is happy to welcome new member, Jackie Tiffany Peters.