The Take Down Bar and Grill in Slater was damaged by a fire that started Tuesday morning, Sept. 24.

The fire was reported at approximately 9 a.m. The Slater Fire Department responded to the fire, but soon called for assistance from the Huxley, Kelley and Cambridge departments. Huxley fire chief Kevin Deaton said one of the reasons so many departments were called in was because many of the volunteer firefighters have full-time jobs during the day and cannot always leave work. Another reason was because Slater’s water could not be used due to interior painting going on in the city’s water tower. As a result, water had to be trucked in from neighboring towns.

The fire was located directly above the bar, where there is a row of televisions and lighting. Deaton said it appears to have been caused by an electrical failure, but he is not positive. The bar owner was getting ready to open the bar for the day and had stopped in to start the morning coffee before running home for a minute. By the time he got back, the fire had started, Deaton said. The coffeemaker is not believed to have started the fire, due to its location from the fire.

Another problem firefighters faced while extinguishing the fire was the fact that the bar has been remodeled several times. The building’s original roof is above where the fire started and several additions had been made. Deaton said it took a while to make sure all the embers were out. The amount of smoke that had accumulated inside the bar by the time firefighters arrived helped keep the fire from spreading.

Assistance was also given from the Huxley ambulance and first responders from Slater and Cambridge.

The fire remains under investigation.