• Mikayla Jones of Huxley was anomg those recognized for their outstanding work in the Academic Success Center or the Disability Resource Center at the University of Minnesota Crookston. Jones, a sport and recreation mangement major, received College Reading and Learning Association Certified Tutor, Level 1 recognition.
• The honor roll lists for Graceland University’s 2017 spring term have been announced, and Brittany Richards of Madrid has been named to the dean’s list. Graceland University students with a GPA between 3.25 and 3.64 are named to the dean’s list.
• Buena Vista University student, Madeleine McCormick, a junior digital media major from Huxley, recently received several awards in the annual Society for Collegiate Journalists (SCJ) national media contest. McCormick was awarded:
Multimedia News Story: Second place for The Tack Online, “We are SLHS: Diversity”
Multimedia Feature Story: Second place for The Tack Online, “Rigged or Righteous: Freedom of the Press”
Multimedia Feature Story: Honorable mention for The Tack Online, “Stranger is a Strange Land”
Continuing Coverage: Third place for The Tack Online, “Racial Discrimination Incident Reported”
Radio News Package: Second place for KBVU, “DYKN Media Minute Public Affairs Commentary”
Radio Feature Package: First place for KBVU, “The Storm Lake Bakery Celebrates 100 Years of Business”
• Senior Brynna Mason, North Polk Community Schools, received the 2017 Star Student Scholarship of Iowa in recognition for her academic achievements, extracurricular activities and educational goals.
An honors student, Mason is involved in extracurricular activities like volleyball and dance, belongs to her local church youth group and participates in school plays.
Mason plans to follow in her mother’s footsteps and study design at Iowa State University. “My mom has made a significant difference in my life because I have always looked up to her and what she does for her job —commercial interior design. I want to go to college and continue to work just as hard as my mom does.”
The awards presentation will be May 24 at 7 p.m at the North Polk High School auditorium in Alleman.
• Nina Morris of Maxwell graduated on May 14 with a degree in geology during Cornell College’s 159th annual commencement.