Story County Auditor and Commissioner of Elections Lucy Martin announces the county candidate filing period for the upcoming General Election.
• County and nonpartisan candidates file with the auditor.
• Candidates nominated via the Primary Election do not file; nomination at the Primary puts them on the General Election ballot.
• The deadline for candidates to file petitions and affidavits is Wednesday, Aug. 29 at 5 p.m.
• The General Election will be held on Nov. 6.
• Partisan county races are for board of supervisors (two seats), attorney, recorder and treasurer.
• Nonpartisan races are for Township offices, Soil & Water Commission, Agricultural Extension and County Hospital Board.
• State and federal candidates file with the Secretary of State and have separate deadlines.
Candidates are required to file nomination petitions with a specified minimum number of signatures; a candidate’s petition must be accompanied by a notarized affidavit of candidacy. Township candidates file an affidavit only. All nomination papers must be filed with the auditor. Completed forms may be delivered in person or mailed to the auditor’s office. Candidate forms are available in the Story County Auditor’s office and on the websites for both Story County and the Secretary of State.
Additional General Election candidate information is attached. Detailed information about the upcoming General Election is also available at www.storycountyiowa.gov/elections or by contacting the auditor’s office at 515-382-7210.
The Story County Auditor’s Office is open Monday-Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.